Whether it’s your first trip with your first child or the tenth trip with your third child: traveling with children represents one of the greatest Mom challenges in existence. Organize and conquer or suffer the consequences. No fear: we have your back! Follow these tips, sit back and enjoy the smooth ride (98.5% of the time)!
Kid Holiday Travel Tips
My kids have been traveling back and forth from Italy to the States for the past 21 years. I survived the terrible twos, threes and fours on 11 hour Trans-Atlantic flights with 6 hour layovers in non-air-conditioned airports to catch a 45 minute flight to the final destination.
Fact: where there’s a will, there’s a way.
- Just Book It: Although the idea of traveling with young ones may be daunting and downright terrifying, know that you will eventually reach your final destination. Intact. And you will still love your kids.
- Hotel or Air BnB: Hotels have their advantages (room service, catering, babysitting, etc.), but the holiday homes allow you to really make yourself at home, for example allowing you to cook in case your child follows a special diet. Carefully evaluate the pros and cons before choosing.
- Relax and enjoy the ride: Once upon a time you shot evil eyes at crying babies’ mothers on airplanes; you also cringed and cursed as small feet slammed into your back for two and a half hours straight from NYC to Miami. Resign yourself to being THAT MOM. You no longer have absolute control: breathe through that fact.
- Go with the lightweight stroller: One of the most common dilemmas for those who decide to travel with children is which transportation device to bring. What is your child used to? A lightweight stroller is often the most versatile solution. They are easy to transport and you can take them with you until boarding; they can be used as a bed for a nap, and they adapt to almost all types of terrain.
- Prepare your Diaper Bag: The diaper bag is considered hand baggage, so make sure you have everything you need (think about dealing with delays): baby wipes, back up pacifier, diapers, snacks (go easy on the sugar and bring some sucking candies for the older kids during take-off and landing, to counteract pressure fluctuations), a change of clothes, plastic bags (for used diapers and really dirty clothing), headphones, toys, a pillow, backup batteries and a charger, tablet / DVD player; and more wipes.
- Do not overdo your luggage: Remember that you can buy almost anything you need for your kids and yourself, even abroad. Maybe you will not find the same brands, but you will adapt. Diapers are often a source of concern, as it can be difficult to find 100% ecological and organic brands. Google that before departure.
- Pack and overpack food: To avoid painful earaches, make sure you feed your newborn milk during both takeoff and landing, the sucking reflex will protect her little ears.Also, picky eaters may not love airplane food, so always come prepared with baggies of non-sticky, crunchy, snack choices.
- Leash or nametag: If you are afraid that your child will get lost, write your name and phone number on your child’s arm. By doing so, anyone who finds your child can contact you easily. You may also purchase a GPS tracking device. Attach it to your child’s wrist or backpack and follow it through the designated app. There are usually family restrooms throughout the airport: as an obsessive compulsive mother, I had my son accompany us to the family restrooms until he was twelve. He is now 21 and does not seem to have any traumatic repercussions as a result of this fact.
- Feminine Care Products: In 95% of my airplane travels, I have gotten my period. No idea why, but I have learned to come prepared. I always pack Organyc Intimate Hygiene Wipes and Organyc 100% organic cotton pads, as the all natural cotton eliminates the risk of irritation due to sweat and stress. The constant temperature fluctuations throughout the airport, airplane, train station and car can oftentimes cause irritation, but preparing these feminine care products significantly reduces the possibility of arriving to my destination with an inflamed vagina.
Women must feel safe and secure when purchasing feminine care products that come into direct contact with their most intimate body parts. Organyc’s 100% organic cotton is American made – grown in the cotton fields of North and South Carolina!
We are extremely proud that the following Organyc products have all earned Made Safe™ Certification: Moderate Flow Pads, Organyc Heavy Flow Pads, Organyc Panty Liners (Folded), and Organyc Panty Liners (Flat Packed)! We are currently working diligently to ensure that all of our products earn this fundamental certification.This certification signifies that they are literally made with safe ingredients not known or suspected to harm human health, animals, or ecosystems. It’s the first nontoxic certification to apply to products we use every day.
For the first time, you can find things that are safe to use on your body, with your families, and in your homes. Certified products are examined by scientists to ensure they’re made without known behavioral toxins, carcinogens, developmental toxins, endocrine disruptors, flame retardants, GMOs, heavy metals, neurotoxins, high-risk pesticides, reproductive toxins, toxic solvents, or harmful VOCs.
Organyc® products protect and respect sensitive skin
In a large scale gynecological study, feminine care products like Organyc containing pure cotton solved skin irritation with a 90% success rate within 90 days.
It is estimated 60% of women believe they suffer from sensitive skin and many do, indeed, experience itching and irritation. Cotton is soft, gentle and naturally breathable. Skin does not react with cotton. 100% pure organic cotton (the purest type) hypoallergenic products are highly recommended for women who suffer from recurring yeast infections.
If you would like to try a sample to experience first hand Organyc’s 100% genuine, organic cotton, click here for details.
Get $6.00 in Organyc coupons by answering several questions about your experience. Click here. It will take just two minutes, and we never share information.
About Organyc sensitive skin feminine care products. Organyc feminine care products are made of 100% organic cotton inside and out are the only brand which provides complete protection for you and your sensitive skin. They have unsurpassed absorbency and leak protection and are cotton-soft and gentle. Conceived in Milan, Italy, they are now available at leading stores and ecommerce retailers throughout the U.S. To order a sample (tampons, liners or pads) or learn more call 1-844-ORGANYC (1-844-674-2692 or click here.
EVVITA Study based on a test of 306 women with discomfort and irritation or itching in the vulvo-vaginal area. 70% regularly suffered from these symptoms. 50% of women in the study described the symptoms as ‘unbearable’ or ‘very annoying’.
The study was conducted by three leading French gynecologists in Paris with the support of the Board of Experts. 105 gynaecologists across France participated in recruitment.